Tips on Filing for Unemployment
1. In order to file for unemployment, it is best to go in person to the nearest office of the Indiana Department of Workforce Development. If you live in the Kendallville area, it would be most helpful to go to the Workforce Development office at 936 West 15th Street, Auburn, IN 46706. By going in person you can get assistance when you first file for unemployment. A slight error can cause delays in receiving unemployment compensation.
2. When you are at the workforce development office, you apply online and workforce development employees are available to answer questions.
3. If you are eligible to receive unemployment compensation, you will receive a debit card in the mail. You use the debit card instead of receiving unemployment compensation checks in the mail.
4. You will file each week on Sunday online at home at www.in.gov/dwd. There are tutorials online to assist you with filing weekly for unemployment compensation. If you do not have a computer at home, you can file online at the library on Monday.
5. On Monday, you can check to see how much unemployment compensation you will receive for this week. It will be the same amount every week except when you get to the last week of your first period of time for receiving unemployment.
6. The next step is taking your debit card to the bank. It has been automatically loaded with the amount of money that you will receive for this week. Then you can deposit money in your bank account and receive any cash that you need.
7. If you have any problems it is best to go in person to the Auburn office. In this way, your problems will be resolved more quickly.