1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
It's easy to participate! Just stop in the library and pick up a booklet to track your reading. You can either check out one of our 100 bags, that includes 10 books to read or just read any 10 books that you choose. Together, read the books and complete a fun activity. Repeat until you've read 1,000 books!
There are lots of reasons why reading 1,000 books before Kindergarten is important:
- Reading and providing a text-rich environment at home before entering school increases reading readiness.
- Vocabulary can be developed by sharing books.
- Building vocabulary and adding to a word bank is of the utmost importance for being ready to read.
- Making sure early reading experiences and activities are fun will contribute to the prevention of reading difficulties in school.
- Positive home and library experiences with reading and reading activities ensure positive attitudes for reading once a child is in school.
Now, you can earn a voucher for the Life and Family Services B.A.B.E. Store for every 100 books you read!
View a complete list of all the book bags here.